Super Foods To Eat During Pregnancy
February 6, 2014
If you are pregnant, congratulations! It is time to start making healthy food choices that will benefit your health and the health of your unborn baby. Eating during pregnancy can be especially pleasurable, however, pregnancy is not a free license to eat whatever you want. On average, a pregnant woman (single pregnancy) needs to add about 300 extra calories per day to support the growth of her unborn baby. The important thing is to add calories that have nutrients, vitamins and minerals that will help your baby grow and help you feel your best during pregnancy.
Many times, there is a lot of focus on the foods that pregnant women should stay away from. While this is helpful information, there is not enough emphasis on foods that are especially beneficial to pregnant women. Here are some foods that are especially beneficial to pregnant women and why:
1. Broccoli – broccoli is full of healthy fiber as well as calcium, magnesium and folic acid.
2. Yogurt – especially Greek yogurt is high in protein as well as calcium.
3. Eggs – eggs are rich in iron, protein and B12, which is essential for the growth of new cells.
4. Sunflower Seeds – sunflower seeds contain Omega 3 fatty acids as well as magnesium, iron, potassium, zinc and vitamins A, B, D, E and K.
5. Sweet Potatoes – sweet potatoes are rich in calcium, vitamin C, Vitamin A and Betacarotene which is great for skin and eye development.
6. Strawberries – strawberries contain high values of Vitamin C, folic acid and potassium. Eating strawberries after eating an iron-rich meal can also help to boost iron absorption.
There are many other foods that are very healthy to eat when pregnant. To get more information about eating a healthy diet during pregnancy, talk to your OBGYN today.
Posted on behalf of Carlos Alarcon, M.D., Marietta OB-GYN Affiliates, P.A.