Excessive Menstrual Bleeding


Are you finished with childbearing and still putting up with excessive/heavy or irregular menstrual bleeding? If you are in your late thirties to mid forties and have noticed that your menstrual periods are getting heavier, longer, more irregular or more painful, you are not alone. Many women in their late thirties to mid forties experience these symptoms as a response to hormonal changes in the body due to Perimenopause. However, if you are finished with childbearing and have not yet been through Menopause, you do not have to put up with heavy/excessive or irregular menstrual bleeding every month. There are options out there that you might want to consider.

If you are experiencing these symptoms, the first step is to schedule an appointment with a qualified, board-certified Gynecologist. He or she can perform an examination as well as any other tests that are needed to determine the cause of your heavy or irregular menstrual bleeding and to ensure that it is from benign causes and not a sign of a more serious medical issue.  If it is determined that your symptoms are being caused by natural hormonal changes in the body, your doctor may recommend birth control pills or some other form of hormonal therapy. If you do not want to take hormones, you may want to talk to your doctor about a Hydrothermal Ablation (HTA). HTA is a minimally invasive Gynecologic procedure that can be used to treat women who experience heavy or irregular menstrual bleeding. If you are interested in this type of treatment, you must be sure that you are finished with childbearing as an HTA can make it difficult or dangerous to get pregnant. Most women experience some decrease in menstrual bleeding as a result of an HTA. A smaller percentage of women experience a complete cessation of bleeding after undergoing HTA.

Don’t let heavy and/or irregular menstrual bleeding continue to negatively affect your quality of life. Talk to your doctor today about your treatment options and to see if you are a good candidate for an HTA.